How to install a Hook

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 iNexus The Creator

iNexus The Creator

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:55 PM

A very quick article to help those new to IPBoard on how to install a hook, by their nature they are easy to install. Hopefully this short guide should answer any immediate questions.

For the purpose of this, I've chosen a simple hook only example "Members Online Today" as its very easy to install and a popular choice for a lot of communities.

1. Having downloaded the file, extract the .zip:
2. Lets take a look at the contents:

We can see the hook xml file itself and some instructions. I won't duplicate the text from those here but its recommended to check the instructions provided by the author regarding the hooks settings (if applicable) and any other features.

3. We need to upload the hook xml now. Go to your ACP. Click the System tab, then on the left Manage Hooks.
4. On the Manage Hooks page, click the "Install Hook" button.
5. A popup will appear. Browse for and upload the hook xml in the .zip you extracted earlier.
6. The hook may take a few moments to install. Once it has finished you'll see a message similar to this, indicating what it has done.
7. Having already read the instructions included in the hook (you did read them yes ?) you'll know it has some settings, so on the System tab, click System Settings on the left, then the Hooks tab in the settings list and you'll see the settings for this hook.
8.Lets take a quick look at this hooks settings, they are self explanatory and just adjust as required not forgetting to save them.
Remember not all hooks have settings, always refer to the instructions that accompany a hook or if in doubt ask in its support topic.
9. Now we've set it as we wanted to, we know this hook displays on the board index in the stats (as per the instructions) so lets check our board to see what its done:

As you can see its working. You can return to Manage Hooks to disable and / or install any hook at a future point.

#2 DaNnIbOi

DaNnIbOi

This is about to get intresting

• Donator
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK

Donator

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:25 AM

Great tutorial for all the newbies to learn! When I first started, I got so confused about what to do with plugins & applications! It's all good now though, so thanks for sharing with others!

#3 redcat

redcat

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

Its nice to see people take the time and trouble to write things that are clear and EASY to understand .
To many times you read a guide for new software that says simply
Upload folders.
BUT WHERE the unknowing ask only to find that no-one actually knows

#4 error403 ツ

error403 ツ

Leading Developer & Donation Manager

• Technical Administrator
  • 845 posts
  • LocationUkraine - Kyiv

Donator

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:57 AM

View Postredcat, on 21 April 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

Its nice to see people take the time and trouble to write things that are clear and EASY to understand .
To many times you read a guide for new software that says simply
Upload folders.
BUT WHERE the unknowing ask only to find that no-one actually knows
This is the basic idea of the community. Users help users and this approach is my or our opinion the right one.

View PostDaNnIbOi, on 16 April 2017 - 04:25 AM, said:

Great tutorial for all the newbies to learn! When I first started, I got so confused about what to do with plugins & applications! It's all good now though, so thanks for sharing with others!
As mentioned above, and of course everyone has started. Usually the problem is that the users do not remain active.

Thanks for this base tutorial, is attached :)

Greetings
error403

You like my work? You like my support? Want more apps? Then please donate

Posted Image

Featured: Picturish - Imagehosting | BeDrive - Filehosting | Snipped - Code Snippets | jabs - URL Shortener

#5 The Scientist

The Scientist

• 28 posts
  • LocationAustria

Donator

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for this guide.
Now, I finally understood how to install a hook.
I was always curious how to do it.
My like should be yours!
Best regards,
Marcus

#6 House of Leaves

House of Leaves

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:06 AM

Will definitely attempt this after I upgrade :)

#7 Woodojo

Woodojo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLevelland

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:27 PM

Almost always I get confused in the installation, sometimes I confuse hook with application and I get lost, good explanation I understood well this time. :)

Posted Image

* Fóco! Força! Fé! Determinação! Humildade!

#8 Mr.TnT

Mr.TnT

Invision Virus Host Team

• Administrator
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

Applications come with .TAR
Plugins/themes comes with .XML

ez

#9 kreon

kreon

• Pip