Question about the branded and unbranded releases

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Marzia

Marzia

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:49 AM

It might be stupid but I really want to know... I was able to finally salvage my hacked xenforo forum... and it's currently at 1.5.8 I want to upgrade it til 1.5.10 but my question first is... which one should I download the unbranded or the branded one? I also want to know the difference... sorry, I have no clue about this area... *bows*

#2 waha005

waha005

IPB Technical Support

• Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:59 AM

Diffrence between branded and unbranded is in the footer copyright.

Branded if you download, you will see copyright and link to the xenforo via anonym.

On

Unbranded, you will not see.

If you download from here, you are safe.
About me:
- I am programmer, i know PHP, HTML, CSS, JS, JQUERY, C++, C#, Perl, Python excellent. Also i'm working with Photoshop for designs, logo, banners etc.

Best regards,
Waha005

#3 Marzia

Marzia

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:10 AM

View Postwaha005, on 10 September 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

Diffrence between branded and unbranded is in the footer copyright.

Branded if you download, you will see copyright and link to the xenforo via anonym.

On

Unbranded, you will not see.

If you download from here, you are safe.

oh, thank you so much! :)

#4 Marzia

Marzia

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:32 AM

sorry for the double post... another question
about this:
-> Download this software from Invision-Virus
-> Run our Validator.php & Checksums.sha1 against our database at Invision-Virus.com
-> Run the Included Validator.php & Checksums.sha1 after verifying those 2 files against our database

the third part... I have already verified the second part through here... how exactly do you run it after?

lastly, do I only delete those 2 after installing or after uploading? and as for the gsaltgen, should I upload it in the same directory of the forum or should it be at the root? and after changing the application.php with the new string, do I delete the gsaltgen file or not?

Edited by Marzia, 10 September 2016 - 04:33 AM.

#5 waha005

waha005

IPB Technical Support

• Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 01:27 PM

Marzia, next time edit your post. You have edit option, instead of bumping this topic.

To run validator & Checksums is optional, so you can install your IP.Board without validation of these files.

lastly, do I only delete those 2 after installing or after uploading?

After installation, you can delete it.
About me:
- I am programmer, i know PHP, HTML, CSS, JS, JQUERY, C++, C#, Perl, Python excellent. Also i'm working with Photoshop for designs, logo, banners etc.

Best regards,
Waha005

#6 Marzia

Marzia

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

Sorry... about that, I'll edit next time...

last question the gsaltgen, should I upload it in the same directory of the forum or should it be at the root or does, literally anywhere is fine? and after changing the application.php with the new string, do I delete the gsaltgen file or not?

Edited by Marzia, 10 September 2016 - 05:29 PM.

#7 waha005

waha005

IPB Technical Support

• Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

Hello Marzia,

You can delete it after installation, it's not problem that. You can upload these files where is your forum directory. If you're installing in the /forum directory then these files will be there.
About me:

Best regards,
Waha005

#8 DaBeast

DaBeast

XF Administrator

• Retired Administrator
  • 648 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 07:52 PM

View PostMarzia, on 10 September 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

Sorry... about that, I'll edit next time...

last question the gsaltgen, should I upload it in the same directory of the forum or should it be at the root or does, literally anywhere is fine? and after changing the application.php with the new string, do I delete the gsaltgen file or not?

You could upload it to the same directory as your forum or you could upload it in a private directory such as /test_asdasdasd if you wish, All that needs to be done with it is to upload it, Refresh the page a few times and copy the new GlobalSalt to replace the one included via the instructions

GSaltGen is harmless to leave in your forum directory if you wish but i would delete it regardless once your done with it.

View PostMarzia, on 10 September 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

sorry for the double post... another question
about this:
-> Download this software from Invision-Virus
-> Run our Validator.php & Checksums.sha1 against our database at Invision-Virus.com
-> Run the Included Validator.php & Checksums.sha1 after verifying those 2 files against our database

the third part... I have already verified the second part through here... how exactly do you run it after?

lastly, do I only delete those 2 after installing or after uploading? and as for the gsaltgen, should I upload it in the same directory of the forum or should it be at the root? and after changing the application.php with the new string, do I delete the gsaltgen file or not?

As for this question,
It's based on the theory that someone may have downloaded the software from somewhere else.

If you downloaded it from IV, Then it's not an issue. It's just a simple integrity check to ensure someone hasn't spoofed our Validator & checksum's files due to malicious modifications by a third party.

So for example, if you download a copy from IV, You don't have to run it because it's legit, but if you download it from say webcrap then you could come here, click validator, upload our checksums & validator files and if they come back as "Success" or "ok" (can't remember which) then you can safely upload the software and run http://yoursite.tld/...m/validator.php to ensure the files are as they should be. If the files all return "ok" then it's safe to install & delete Validator.php & Checksums.sha1

View Postwaha005, on 10 September 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

Hello Marzia,

You can delete it after installation, it's not problem that. You can upload these files where is your forum directory. If you're installing in the /forum directory then these files will be there.

GSaltGen.php is a file i created to generate a 32bit string exactly similar to xenForo's default GlobalSalt, I included it so people can change their GlobalSalt with the instructions in order to be sure they're GlobalSalt is unique.
So therefore, it's not required but if they want to change their globalsalt that's what they use it for.

So don't just tell people to delete it if they're asking about it.

dig into it.

Need Support? Use the support forumsDon't PM Staff for support

#9 Marzia

Marzia

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 01:55 AM

thank you so much for the clarifications! :)

#10 DaBeast

DaBeast

XF Administrator

• Retired Administrator
  • 648 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

View PostMarzia, on 11 September 2016 - 01:55 AM, said:

thank you so much for the clarifications! :)

No problem,
Enjoy :)

#closed

Need Support? Use the support forumsDon't PM Staff for support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users