•  

Staff applications open!

We are looking for dedicated members to join the Community Team to help enforce the community rules and make IV a better place for everyone.
Do you think you have what it takes to join? Apply here: http://invision-viru...f-applications/
IV Management

* * * * * 1 votes

Are you afraid to fly?

afraid fly plane population

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 extrupicio

extrupicio

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 04:37 AM

Did you know that 20% to 40% are afraid to fly?
What do you think the problem is?

#2 mrreaper21

mrreaper21

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 10:35 PM

the height, lol. you are high up, not to mention when the plane lands there's a weird feeling heh.

#3 ak47s

ak47s

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:16 AM

I think the problem is in our head. Just because we are on 12.000ft we think we are not insecure, but it's more safe than car.

#4 JoCampbell

JoCampbell

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 12:45 PM

I used to be afraid of flying due to all the turbulence, but then when I actually need to travel I'd rather fly than use any other type of transportation.
I heard that a lot of people are scared of flying because they have seen stuff in movies etc.

#5 DustyFlatts

DustyFlatts

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:41 AM

I had my first flight in January of this year, I'm not gonna lie, I was quite nervous. What really got me wasn't really the heights, and I'll admit it right now, I'm deathly afraid of heights. What got me the most was the dedication for an airplane ride. (I'll try my best to explain)

In a car ride, you can take little "pit-stops" at like a gas station, restaurant, etc. but in a plane, you're in until you get to your destination, which doesn't sound that bad.. I mean.. theres a whole bathroom and some on-flight food, but something about stepping out of a car for a quick stop just hits differently than standing up on a plane to stretch your legs, not to mention that it's not just you and your pals on the plane.

#6 Indisus

Indisus

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:12 AM

I am. Very much so.

Ill explain (somewhat)

For me, its irrational more so than others in that I am absolutely aware that its a safe way to travel and the amount of incidents are so small (statistically) that theyre almost negligable.

Its a matter of understanding, I understand how a combustion engine works (In the simplest sense) and so being the passenger in a car doesnt phase me

But how tonnes upon tonnes of metal remains airborne baffles me and ill never quite grasp it (Despite my would-be engineer for the day friends describing 'lift' to me in excruciatingly little detail)

So yeah, flying sucks. Despite being amazing.

#7 TarTar

TarTar

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

Oh i love flying! I used to fly like twice every couple weeks back and forth between my city and my friends city (across the state) boy was that really fun. Even long flights dont even bother me!

#8 Big High Rollers

Big High Rollers

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:23 AM

I'm not afraid to fly because I am an IRL pilot. Super fun and enjoyable because instead of sitting in the cabin you're the captain which is super cool because you are the person actually flying!

#9 JoJo19

JoJo19

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:14 AM

Yes i am i have never had a passport and my hubby keeps nagging me to get one before i get to old but im to scared to fly so keep making excuses why i don't want to get my passport.Its the not knowing and also the closeness of people as i suffer from social anxiety and hate people to close to me.

#10 Renarain

Renarain

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:59 PM

for me, 3 main issues.

1: im so high up
2: im in a fast moving metal object that I got zero control over.
3: all the bad stuff going on in the world at this moment in time.

also the hardest part about sky diving is the ground. so there's that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users