•  

Staff applications open!

We are currently in need of more staff members. Feel you are ready to take on the tasks of being a Community Team Member? Apply today here: http://invision-viru...f-applications/
IV Management

* * * * * 1 votes

Webmin vs Cpanel

webmin cpanel

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zedcode

zedcode

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:02 AM

I found a web panel, but not the site that is better some people tell me the cpanel is good but other people tell me that webmin is better! now I do not know which one to choose, what is the difference between the two?

#2 Killer_007

Killer_007

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:29 AM

I honestly prefer Cpanel because it's more easier to navigate anyway. But honestly it just depends on the type of work you are doing. Most people who are new to making a website should start out with Cpanel and learn the basics before moving into web panel.

#3 Indisus

Indisus

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

Im stuck in my ways with CPanel, i went through a period of trying out other options and always ended up returning there. Its the old, if it aint broke dont fix it ....

But in all honesty for my needs, if theres a decent UI for handling SQL databases and an installer for programmes e.g. Softaculous .. Im sold!

#4 cmer

cmer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Donator

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:46 PM

I used cpanel for 4 years, I work now under plesk, it is cheaper and I turn it much lighter.

#5 Nolan887

Nolan887

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Donator

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

As Indisus said, I am in my old ways with Cpanel. I feel like it is easier to use, and user friendly. But then again that's all I have been doing, and I am not a huge guy on change haha.

#6 vecas

vecas

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLocalHost

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:57 AM

as admin for many servers using webmin , cpanel , plesk , etc

i prefer if you have knowledge with linux commands to use free ispconfig

if you want to use paid one use cpanel / plesk

But if you are hosting one website on your vps or server , use it from command line will be better

#7 buyacc

buyacc

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

my personal opinion because the best cpanel but if you want any free panel I recommend you CP ve is almost at the height of cpanel in configuration and in simplicity it has everything except a webftp but if you pay 5 dollars you can have it and it also has softaculos support if you need it in addition to occupy as ssl lets encript

#8 diomet

diomet

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:04 PM

I also prefer and vote for ISPConfig for self hosting. I used to work in hosting at the begining of 2000, and ff course, CPanel is the best option but pricy. The very best next thing is ISPConfig. I am using it for about 15 years now. The latest version 3 covers pretty well everything I need.

It has a software center and let's encrypt. The main advantage is that you can customize however you like. Cheers!
The quieter you become, the more you can hear...

#9 amm007

amm007

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 08:12 AM

I use Webmin for admining my servers, not for webhosting, that would be Virtualmin. Cpanel, it's got a lot things it can do, but it's pricey. These days I use VestaCP.

#10 MartynasNT

MartynasNT

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 06:00 AM

I have used Virtualmin/Webmin a lot of times. There are wonderful features on it. But the problem is that the core was written in the outdated language. The whole control panel is slow due to not optimized Javascript.
If you want a great cPanel alternative, please use DirectAdmin. It costs only $2. Please note that Google Cloud or AWS does not support it (network issues, you need to spend a lot of time in order to make it work). The best free alternative is Vesta CP. But you have control your domain DNS with your created nameservers, otherwise, you cannot use Let’s Encrypt.
cPanel does not support MySQL 8.0 yet and PHP 7.4. DirectAdmin supports it, VestaCP also. Virtualmin supports PHP 7.4, but not MySQL 8.0.

#11 nickscharr

nickscharr

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

Webmin. I see no need to pay for cPanel when Webmin has low over-head with just as much features and completely free.

#12 eagle1

eagle1

• Donator
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:51 AM

Well... I'm kinda experienced, since I run mostly a shared hosting company

There is the correct panel for every situation. I'll try to stay concise:
  • cPanel: Huge and expensive (resource and money intensive). It's the most full and complete panel solution around, rock stable, unbeatable amount of features (for example the really good CA Comodo while they issue the free certificates without the limits of the LE one). It's ideal only when you will have a LOT of accounts on a server. Not good for a VPS enveironment or single user use, IMHO
  • Plesk: The alternative commercial solution. More lighweight, it use less resource and is suitable even for really small VPS. It lacks some of the advanced features of cPanel and some things arrive only after a bit of times, but is good, even for a one-site server. Runs on a lot of distros unless cPanel.
  • VestaCP: OpenSource very good and flexible panel. It have a good set of features, a really strong CLI set of tools for doing/scripting EVERYTHING you need and is really really light. Of course you need a little more knowledge of administration things and procedure.
  • ISPConfig: And old glory. Not too bad, not too good, a lof of things, generally speaking stable and suitable for a lots of scenarios. It's not so easy to upgrade/mantain.
  • DirectAdmin: It was a good one, really chep commercial panel with a lots of feature. But it's kinda of not refined, little of sharp edges, but if you don't look for a stunning graphics and a little of knowledge of a shell it's a good choice!
  • Webmin: Webmin it's an old opensource glory. It's around since 23 years, right now. It's not an "hosting panel" like the before cited. It's a all-around tool for administering the server. But, if you ask me, you are not going to know WHAT YOU NEED TO DO, you will do nothing. What I'm trying to say is that every commercial panel, or even some opensource one (like VestaCP) are ways better for administering an hosting server. With webmin you can virtually manage every kind of server while other solutions are more tailored for web hosting, and therefore superior if you need to do only this.

There are of course a lot of others solutions (InterVox, TinyCP, dozen of others panel) but these are the more stable and useful, IMHO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users