•  

Staff applications open!

We are looking for dedicated members to join the Community Team to help enforce the community rules and make IV a better place for everyone.
Do you think you have what it takes to join? Apply here: http://invision-viru...f-applications/
IV Management

- - - - -

Best way to learn to code ?

programming programming languages coding

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dysfunction

Dysfunction

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:20 PM

Hello guys, For a long time i wanted to learn how to code, i went by codecademy and several other websites.
for some reason i never figured out the hang of it, or shall i say grasped the subject.

If any of you would like to share different ideas about it, and if a change of mindset or a trick to that i would like to hear.

whether its python, java, c++, c#. I would like to know a better way to grasp the subject thoroughly.

#2 SomeoneSpecial

SomeoneSpecial

Coffe S2

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 03:39 AM

Youtube videos man, that's how I started, reading topics in stack overflow, etc...

#3 Gang

Gang

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 07:34 AM

Well, there is various website where you can learn how to code.
First I suggest you to learn the base of Algorithm, after focus on a language and follow course on website (OpenClassroom, CodeAcademy etc), you should start with C#, Python or Java.

#4 Dysfunction

Dysfunction

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:49 AM

View PostSomeoneSpecial, on 09 August 2019 - 03:39 AM, said:

Youtube videos man, that's how I started, reading topics in stack overflow, etc...

yeah i know youtube is for the base of every language and stackoverflow is for solving problems.
but i mean a guide to how to manage with the essentials and what to do with it.

#5 Mozilla

Mozilla

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

Personally I have learned to ropes by reading through some on websites. In my case quite a lot on W3Schools. Allthough that was mainly for PHP. That way you learn certain essentials, it's basically the online equivalent of buying a book. The plus-side of online is you can see it working right away. Which makes it more easier to understand.

Later on I started following YouTube video's and reproducing their codes. Eventually I started making random stuff from scratch. Think of basic calculators but eventually a CMS.

Like you realise yourself, StackOverflow is not for teaching, but for getting help with your problems. Allthough you can learn a lot of reading through other peoples problems.

#6 DNS-Peter

DNS-Peter

i_love-capitalism

• Community Friend
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:34 AM

i prefer to Java. Java has a great syntax for beginner. Object-oriented programming is much easier to learn and understand in java.
Search and watch in youtube: thenewboston java or buy a course on udemy.com. // udemy often has offers

#7 YoutuberAidis

YoutuberAidis

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:26 PM

In my opinion, the best way to learn programming is simply to play and modify scripts in this way you will learn how functions work, what they are used for and how to perform them.

#8 Gallus

Gallus

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:43 PM

I started learning by downloading source code and just reading through it and messing with things and seeing what happens. In recent years though, I've decided to take to Udemy and get some cool courses on different languages and stuff. It's a really cool platform. You should check it out if you are serious about learning to code. It's not hard to learn on your own, but to learn the proper way, take a class.

#9 artem489678

artem489678

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:32 PM

there are several important things you should know before writing a line of code.. you should understand how algorithms work and how computers are working in general.. later, try to follow step by step guides on many tutorial pages. remember, google is your friend if you do programming. later, when you know basics, write code. the more you write, the better you get.

and reading source code of complicated projects can be tough.. read tests first, they will help you with your understanding what each module and class do. good luck bro!

#10 zaxescsgo

zaxescsgo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:51 PM

Personally I use solo learn. Every time I go to the bathroom I just load it up (mobile app). It's really good and talks about everything in detail. It also has games so you can like compete and actually have fun.

#11 Tricky

Tricky

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:20 AM

Well I started with php fusion must be about 15+ years ago then developed for smf and mybb and still learning to this day. the thing is with it is to keep at it you will mess up but just start again

#12 FaeskO

FaeskO

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:05 PM

There are thousands upon thousands of YouTube tutorials.
They may be long and boring, but at the end of the day, you're learning.

#13 nicosw23

nicosw23

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:56 AM

Take a very simple project in mind, you need of a motivation. So, learn topics of python to develop the project.

e.g Calculator
What you need? Ah...I need of a message on display screen saying "Welcome to my calculator", so you search "how I print a message in console with python".
And continue with this to each part of your project.

After you finish your first simple project, you can learn by videos, books, etc. If you don't experience it, you will not like like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users