CentOS or Ubuntu?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 keitenai

keitenai

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:12 AM

Im a newbie in running  VPS and I have only been using CentOS since the begining.
I found using Dropbox to update my files in my VPS very useful. It really made my life easier.
But few weeks ago I have received an email from dropbox stating that i need to update my linux to ext4...

What the hell is ext4??

I really have no idea about that and as I said that im still a newbie. Anyway Dropbox also stated something about Fendora and Ubuntu being able to support the upcoming Dropbox update otherwise my dropbox on my linux with CentOS will not sync anymore.

Now my question is What exactly is the difference between Ubuntu and CentOS? well i know the difference between Windows and Mac, and these 2 commercial OS over Linux. But between CentOS and Ubuntu (My Option is shifting to Ubuntu) i still have no Idea...

Googling over the net didnt help me so if anyone would be be kind enough to share with me about the good stuffs with using ubuntu over centos and the downside of using ubuntu over centos so i would be ready for whatever issues i will be encountering when i shift to ubuntu.

Thanks in advance =)

#2 idlaz

idlaz

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 01:02 AM

I prefer CentOS!

#3 LowcaCienipl

LowcaCienipl

• Pip
  • 0 posts
  • LocationHades

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

It all depends on what you want to use it, as for me centos is quite problematic.

#4 Douzan

Douzan

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:21 AM

Definitely Ubuntu. Ubuntu is quite beginner friendly and can help you do a lot of great things. Also like LowcaCienipl said, it depends on what you want it for.

There are definitely other options to, but it all depends on what you want.

#5 markqS

markqS

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:04 AM

One of the first things I do is uninstall Ubuntu One from any new distro.  Good riddance as far as Im concerned.  There are other clouds if I want to use them.
Custom grathic design - Gapsy

#6 cold

cold

Community Team & Verified Uploader

• Community Team
  • 158 posts

Donator

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

Kali Linux ;)
I focus on paid IPB mods, applications and themes. However, if you require a specific file please request it here: http://invision-viru...um/17-requests/ and I'd be more than happy to check it out.

Are you looking for a moderator to manage your community? Feel free to PM me!

Do you require dedicated - free - IPS customization support? Join me on ecliptic.cc!

My support team and I will help you customize your entire forum as well as any plugins, apps and themes - for free.

Posted Image

Community Rules | Discord | News | Upcoming mods and themes

#7 Andreihw

Andreihw

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:57 AM

I'd say definitely Ubuntu, it's the best for any type server in my oppinion, but it's up to you what you choose anyway

#8 screp

screp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:43 AM

I prefer CentOS! is more friendly

#9 Dumitru

Dumitru

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 03:31 AM

I prefer centos... it's easy ...for newbie person with domain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users